MD. SAYEED AL-ZAMAN
Within the broader area of media and communication studies, a few of my research interests are social media; news and information; digital sociology; religious and political communication; and criminology. I have developed a specific research interest in the digital culture of Bangladesh. My current research focuses are social media interaction and digital information. I would like to advance my understanding further in this area through my future research.
Lecturer (July 2019-Present), Department of Journalism and Media Studies, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Current courses: Information and Communication Technology (202); Media, Society and Culture (307); Gender and Media (405); Photojournalism (417); Film Appreciation (521).
Guest Lecturer (August 2018-July 2019), Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Youth Development, Ministry of Youth and Sports, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka, Areas of lecture: Media in Bangladesh; Digital Communication and Technology; Media and Society.
Executive Editor (February 2018-August 2018), Advanced Services for the People’s Economy, Culture & Technology (ASPECT) Trust, Banani Old DOHS, Dhaka-1212, Bangladesh.
Master of Social Sciences (MSS), 2017, Dept. of Journalism and Media Studies, Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Bachelor of Social Sciences (BSS), 2016, Dept. of Journalism and Media Studies, Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Book Chapters (Published & Accepted)
- Md. Sayeed Al-Zaman, “Digitalization and Transformation of Teaching and Learning in Bangladesh” (2020), published in Uta M. Stelson & Theresa D. Neimann (eds.). Challenges and Opportunities in Global Approaches to Education (pp. 56-77), IGI Global Publishers, PA, USA. Doi: 10.4018/978-1-5225-9775-9.ch004
- Md. Sayeed Al-Zaman, “Understanding Religious Confrontation in Digital Public Sphere of Bangladesh” (2021), accepted in Heloisa Pait (eds.). Media, Development and Democracy, Emerald Publishing, UK.
- Md. Sayeed Al-Zaman & Prithula Prosun Puja (2020), “Storytelling and Rhetoric of Rumor in Social Media” (2020), accepted Lorena Mihaes et al. (eds.). Handbook of Research on Contemporary Storytelling Methods Across New Media and Disciplines, IGI Global Publishers, PA, USA.
Journal Articles (Published & Accepted)
- Sayeed Al-Zaman (2020), “Religious Communication in Digital Public Sphere”, published in Jurnal Penelitian, 17(1). 29-42, The State Institute for Islamic Study Pekalongan, Indonesia. Doi: 10.28918/jupe.v17i1.2450
- Sayeed Al-Zaman (2020), “Digital Media and Political Communication of Bangladesh: A New Wave of Democratic and Pluralistic Politics?”, published in Artha Journal of Social Sciences (AJSS), 19(2), 1-19, Christ University, India. Doi: 10.12724/ajss.53.1
- Md. Sayeed Al-Zaman (2019), “Digital Disinformation and Communalism in Bangladesh”, published in China Media Research, 15(2), 68-76, Georgia, USA. Doi: 10.31235/osf.io/8s6jd
- Uzzwal Kumar Mondal & Md. Sayeed Al-Zaman (2019), “New Media in Cultural Transmission: A Study on a Peri-urban Society of Bangladesh”, published in Jahangirnagar Review, 29(C), 307-323, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Sayeed Al-Zaman (2019), “Rural Culture in the 21st Century Films of Bangladesh”, published in Development Compilation, 15(1), 89-102, Bangladesh Institute of Professional Studies (BIPS), Dhaka, Bangladesh. Doi: 10.31235/osf.io/y5f3z
- Sayeed Al-Zaman (2020), “Islam, Online Piety, Its Repercussions in Bangladesh”, accepted in the International Journal of Islamic Studies and Humanities (IJISH), Indonesia.
- Sayeed Al-Zaman & Manir Sikder (2020), “Impact of Digital Media on Electoral Campaign: The Case of the 11th Parliamentary Election of Bangladesh”, in press for publication in the Journal of Social Science, Faculty of Social Sciences, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Journal Articles (Submitted & Ongoing)
- Sayeed Al-Zaman, “Healthcare in Bangladesh During the COVID-19 Pandemic”, under review in American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (AJTMH), USA.
- Sayeed Al-Zaman, “COVID-19-related fake news in social media”, under review (for special issue on COVID-19 and Social Media Dis/misinformation) in the Journal of Science Communication, SISSA Medialab, Italy.
- Sayeed Al-Zaman, “Islam and Online misogyny in Bangladesh”, under review in Society and Culture in South Asia, Sage Publications, UK.
- Sayeed Al-Zaman, “How Social Media Users React to Disinformation?”, under review in Global Media and Communication, Sage Publications, UK.
- Sayeed Al-Zaman, “A Bibliometric Analysis of the Top 200 Most-cited Literature on Social Media (2008-2018)”, under review in Journal of Scientometric Analysis, India.
- Sayeed Al-Zaman, “Fake News in Social Media”, under review in the Pacific Journalism Review, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand.
- Sayeed Al-Zaman et al., “An Analysis of Social Media Rumor”, in revision for the Journal of Information Science Theory and Practice (JISTaP), Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information (KISTI), South Korea.
- Md. Sayeed Al-Zaman, “’Wear borkha, not t-shirts like the foreigners’: Islam, vigilantism, and women in social media”, under review in the International Journal of Islam in Asia, Brill, The Netherlands.
- Md. Sayeed Al-Zaman, “Gendered Communication and Women’s Vulnerability in Digital Media”, under review in Kafa`ah: Journal of Gender Studies, Center for Gender and Child Studies, Universitas Islam Negeri (UIN), Indonesia.
- Sayeed Al-Zaman, “Bibliometric analysis of COVID-19 literature”, submitted to Journal of Research in Health Sciences (JRHS), Iran.
- Sayeed Al-Zaman, “Typologies of rumor, disinformation, and fake news: A comparative analysis”, ongoing research.
Projects & Grants
- Sayeed Al-Zaman (2019), “Rethinking Environment of Bangladesh”, Bangladesh Environmental Lawyers Association (BELA), funded by Inter Pares, Canada.
- Sayeed Al-Zaman (2019-20), “Social Media Rumor”, a project funded by University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh.
Nihato Drishyer Moto (Trans. Like a Dead Scene), 2016, Kobi Prokashani, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Selected English Commentaries
- “Telling good lies: Digital rhetoric and rumor in Bangladesh”, South Asia Journal, 15.02.2020.
- “Internet vigilantism: A mushrooming crisis”, Daily Observer, 19.10.2019. p. 05
- “Digital religion and ‘othering’ the co-cultures”, The Asian Age, 31.10.2018. p. 07
- “Brave new digital world: How the virtual world is changing our lives”,
Dhaka Tribune, 11.10.2017. p. 14
- “Netizens and the virtual neighborhoods”, The Independent, 29.11.2017. p. 06
- “Rise of digital piety in Bangladesh: How extremism found a new nest in cyberspace?”, The Independent, 08.10.2018. p. 07
- “Digital culture and cyber-society”, New Age, 17.02.2018. p. 09
- “Digitalised human”, Daily Sun, 08.07.2018. p. 07
- “A new wave in education: How digital technology is transforming ‘learning & teaching’?” Daily Sun, 12.04.2018. p. 07
- “Cultural transformation in digital age”, The Independent, 29.05.2018. p. 06
- “Digital paradox”, Daily Observer, 13.02.2018. p. 07
- “Writing in a digital age”, Dhaka Tribune, 02.03.2018. p. 15
- “Growing popularity of EdTech”, Daily Sun, 22.03.2018. p. 07
- “Rohingya issue: The construction of identity”, Daily Observer, 25.09.2017. p. 07
- “Urban areas in Bangladesh”, Daily Sun, 12.10.2017. p. 05
- “How media is reshaping rural Bangladesh?” The Asian Age, 27.10.2017. p. 08
- “Addressing population problem”, The Independent, 06.11.2017. p. 07
- “The ‘rape culture’ in Bangladesh: Why and how women are becoming prey?”
Daily Observer, 16.11.2017. p. 06
- “Women’s insecurity in public transports”, The Independent, 16.11.2017. p.06
- “The malady of ‘overconsumption’”, Daily Observer, 25.01.2018. p. 07
- “What makes the war?”, Daily Observer, 04.04.2018. p. 07
- “Demystification of Bangabandhu’s Bengalee Muslim”, Daily Sun, 16.05.2018.p. 07
- “The myth of ‘cultural aggression’”, The Asian Age, 26.05.2018. p. 09
- “Understanding cultural transformation”, The New Nation, 05.06.2018. p. 05
Selected Bangla Commentaries
- “Changing pattern of clothing and impact of media”, Maddhom: Journal of Mass Media, 1(1), 02.2017, pp. 74-82
- “The disease of Dhaka parks”, Daily Ittefaq, 07.09.2016, p. 08
- “Digital media and identity crisis”, Daily Ittefaq, 28.12.2016, p. 08
- “The limitations of Bangladesh films”, Daily Bonikbarta, 28.01.2017, p. 04
- “On Dhaka city, traffic jam and ‘No Car Day’”, Daily Ittefaq, 02.02.2017, p.08
- “Political participation in new media”, Daily Bonikbarta, 01.04.2017, p. 04
- “The culture of violence of youths”, Daily Sangbad, 01.04.2017, p. 06
- “Take steps to protect rights of indigenous people”, Daily Manabkantha, 08.04.2017, p.04
- “Crises of school education”, Daily Ittefaq, 23.05.2017, p. 09
- “Why consumers are going abroad?”, Daily Jugantor, 22.06.2017, p. 08
- “The transformation of rural society in Bangladesh”, Daily Ittefaq, 09.08.2017, p. 09
- “A brief history of native costume”, Weekly Mohinilok, 26 (1), 01.05.2018. p. 20-26
- “How population can be wealth or crisis”, Daily Amader Shomoy, 04.07.2018. p. 04
- “The mind of Bengalee man”, Weekly Mohinilok, 26 (3), 01.07.2018. p. 12-17
- “Making hostage”, Daily Samakal, 29.10.2018. p. 08
- The language, Onarjo Kothon, 07 (1), 04.2015. p. 48
- The garden of lips, Uttaradhikar, Bangla Academy, Issue 59, 05.2015
- “Love is a wonderful disease”, Daily Inqilab, 22.04.2016, p. 09
- I die in the moonbeam, Daily Bhorer Kagoj, 06.11.2015, p. 09
- Popular lover, Seeing towards a rose, The return, Charkol, 1(1), 02.2014, pp. 29-31
- The dialogues of waiting, Anondon Patrika, Issue Vadro-1421, 07.2014
- In a bemused forest, Daily Ittefaq, 09.03.2018, p. 25
- Tendencies of men, Joydhoni, Ekushey Issue, 02.2020
- The story of our deforestation through definitions, Boyan, 2(1), 01.2016
- A winter-morning-cat, Ruri, 1(3), 10.2013
- “Peace & Beauty” (11 photographs), Daily Observer, 12.01.2017
- “Nature & Wildlife” (10 photographs), The Independent, 09.03/2017
- “Enlighten Your Life”, Daily Kaler Kantho, 30.11.2015
- Professional portrait, Daily Kaler Kantho,02.2016
- “The woodpecker sighs…”, Daily Observer, 08.03.2018
- “Harsh reality of child labor” (8 photographs), Daily Observer, 15.03.2018
- “Photo Feature: Nature” (8 photographs), Daily Observer, 05.07.2018
Reviewer (Books & Journals)
- Feminist Media Studies, Routledge, Taylor & Francis, United Kingdom.
- Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, Sage Publications, United Kingdom.
- Asian Journal of Political Science, Routledge, Taylor & Francis, United Kingdom.
- Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, Mary Ann Liebert Inc. Publishers, USA.
- Research Journal of Educational Studies and Review, Pearl Research Journals, Nigeria.
- Challenges and Opportunities in Global Approaches to Education, IGI Global Publishers, PA, USA.
- Handbook of Research on Contemporary Storytelling Methods Across New Media and Disciplines, IGI Global Publishers, PA, USA.
- JMS Readers Club (April 2012-April 2013), Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- JMS Film Club (August 2016-August 2017), Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Charkol, threefold literature magazine (February 2018-February 2018), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Pathshala, online news portal (August 2015-August 2016), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Camera: Photography, Videography; MS Office Package: Word, Excel, Powerpoint; Adobe: Photoshop,
Premiere Pro, Indesign, Illustrator, Audition; Others: SPSS (Intermediate), Quark Xpress, Python (Basic).